Let’s start this week’s edition of Toque Tips with a little game: What ties these three things together? Plants absorb it, human beings release it, and it’s an essential ingredient to any refreshing carbonated beverage. Did you say Carbon Dioxide?
With Sodastream’s carbonating system, you can harbor the scientific power of Carbon Dioxide (CO2) right in your kitchen to create your own sparkling concoctions. This easy-to-use contraption uses a specially designed CO2 cartridge to quickly and easily carbonate water.
If seltzer is your go-to beverage, your drink is ready after one push of the button! But if you’re like me and prefer a fruity flavor or cola taste, it’s easy to add some extra zing to your drink with Sodastream syrups. For more at-home fun, try your hand at making different flavor mixtures. A personal favorite of mine is rhubarb syrup.
You may be thinking, why should I buy one of these machines? Why not just buy a case of soda?
- Go green! Do you love seltzer and soda but hate the carbon footprint that the empty bottles and cans leave? Sodastream’s reusable plastic bottles can be hand washed and reused hundreds of times. By continually reusing the bottle, there is less packaging waste and less pollution caused by transportation of bottled beverages.
- Save space! Sodastream’s ultra concentrated flavors and reusable bottles take up a quarter of the space needed to house several cases of soda in your pantry. No need to clear the entire counter for the Sodastream – it requires virtually the same amount of space as a drip coffee maker.
- Variety! Does everyone in your household have a different favorite flavor? Save yourself the money and hassle of buying multiple cases of soda. With a Sodastream, its easy to carbonate up to 1 liter of water at a time and add a different flavor to each glass. The seltzer goes into the glasses, and voilà – everyone is satisfied!
Ready to make some homemade soda?
We think this Peach and Lavender recipe is extra tasty! Stop by your local farmers market and pick up some fresh peaches and lavender for this cool, refreshing beverage.
White Peach-Lavender Syrup
Adapted from Emma Christensen
Makes 1-1/2 to 2 cups
1 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
1-1/2 tablespoons lavender flowers
1 pound very ripe white peaches
1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan on the stove top. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved, then add the lavender flowers. Let stand for 20 minutes to infuse the sugar water with lavender.
- Wash and roughly chop the peaches, and place them in a medium sized bowl.
- Strain the lavender flowers and pour the infused sugar water over the fruit. Add the lemon juice and salt, and stir to combine. Let this stand for 10 minutes to macerate the fruit.
- Working in batches, puree the peaches with the sugar water in the food processor or blender. Using a fine mesh strainer, strain the mixture into a bowl, and collect as much juice as possible without forcing any solids through the strainer. If you don’t have a fine mesh strainer, you can line a colander with flour sack towels or cheesecloth.
- Add syrup (to taste) to a glass of freshly carbonated water, stir, and enjoy!
If you don’t own a Sodasteam, we invite you to stop by our store and see all our models, ranging in price from $100-$200.
We also offer an in-store carbonator exchange program: when your CO2 cartridge is empty, bring it to our store for a $10 credit towards a replacement. We send them back to Sodastream to be reused.
This concludes this week’s edition of Toque Tips. Join us next week as we virtually visit France and indulge in crepes!