How to Use Le Parfait Super Jars for Canning
Le Parfait Super Jars are available in several sizes and are perfect for preserving soup, fruits, pickles or vegetables.
1. Before canning, wash your Le Parfait jars with soap and hot water with a sponge, or in a dishwasher. As an extra precaution, include a tablespoon of bleach for every quart of wash water. Do not use scouring pads. Rinse thoroughly and allow to air dry.
2. Fill the jar to the Max fill line indicated on the jars.
3. To ensure a proper seal, use a clean, new Le Parfait seal (gasket). Dip the rubber seal in boiling water before fitting it onto the lid. Make sure the jar rim, and surfaces that will be in contact with the seal, are clean.
4. Place a clean dishtowel at the bottom of your pressure cooker in order to avoid contact between the jars and the metal. Fill with hot water and place on the stove.
5. As the water comes to a boil, carefully, safely, and completely immerse the jars upright in the water. Fill empty spaces between jars with other open glass jars. For proper sterilization, the jars must be totally covered, with about an inch of water above them.
6. Close the pressure cooker, and start timing according to your recipe, beginning when the valve starts letting out steam.
7. When the time is up, remove it from the heat source and allow it to cool on its own. Do not force rapid cooling: do not let out pressure, and do not douse with, nor dip in, cold water, nor use any other rapid cooling methods.
8. Once cool, open the lid, remove the jars, and store them in a cool, dry, dark place.
9. When the jars have cooled down completely, in a day or so, check that the vacuum in the jars is intact by releasing the levers. The lids should remain stuck to the jars. Loose lids are the result of incorrect filling (too much or too little), sterilization time was too short or at too low a pressure, debris on the jar rim may have compromised the seal, or an old or misfit seal (gasket) was used.
10. Keep the levers loose by not re-engaging them. Keep the jars in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight, until you’re ready to use them.
11. Before opening a jar, check that the lid is not loose, to make sure there is still a vacuum. (Do not consume the contents if the jar has lost its vacuum.)
12. Pull the rubber tab of the seal to allow some air into the jar, thereby releasing the vacuum and allowing the lid to topen. Enjoy!
“Super” is a brand name of Le Parfait canning jars. Made in France.
Le Parfait Jars
Also called “bail tops”, these closures consist of a clasp or toggle, a neck tie-wire, a lever wire, and a gasketed lid to make containers airtight.
This is especially important for carbonated beverage bottles, for canning, and airtight storage.
Prevent chipping of the glass rims and lids by holding down the lid with one hand while clasping and unclasping with the other hand